Re: [gardeners] Fw: Propogating Tree Collards

Sun, 25 Jan 1998 17:12:02

At 12:14 PM 1/25/98 +0000, you wrote:
>George wrote:
>
>> Your bubble is busted, being a Texian I'm actually a westerner, not a
>> southerner. Only reason we seceded from the Union was to get a chance to
>> shoot some Yankees. No one in my family liked collards so I never got used
>> to them. Mom and Dad liked mustard greens but I wouldn't eat them for years
>> and have just started eating them mixed with other greens. Might plant some
>> collards just to see if my tastes have changed in 40 some years. Did start
>> eating grits again this year after I swore I never would.
>
>George, wash out yur mouth. For shame. I'm a Texian and I am definitely a
>Southroner, since my folks got to Texas via Lousyanna at the close of the
>Late Unpleasantness. Texians from Tyler down to Corpus all consider
>themselves Southroners. It's them Texians from the Panhandle and such
>places that may be passin' so to speak. And then there are the folk from
>Midland headed to El Paso....them's is the westerners. Still, they is
>western Southroners in my book <bg>
>
>Catharine, Texian in exile in Atlanta

Most historians, IMHO, consider the west to begin at the Brazos River,
that's on the near west side of Houston, so reckon being from SE Texas I am
southron. Had one great-grand moved to Central Louisiana from Mississippi,
he was in Co. K, 3rd Mississippi Cavalry. Another one dropped down from
around Genoa, Arkansas to the same part of Louisiana, he was a bushwhacker
near as I can tell. Of course he was also Brush Arbor Baptist and an
ordained minister to boot. Had one Yankee, 2nd Arkansas Cavalry (Federal),
and one Reb, Co. E, 16th Arkansas Infantry (Confederate) too. Both from
Carroll Country, Arkansas (NW part) and had farms adjacent to each other.
Reckon I can claim being Southron, Westrun, or even Damn Yankee. They were
all farmers, not a peddler or merchant in the bunch.
 Have some old iris growing in the bed out front that came from Blackjack
Cemetary in Carroll Cty, AR that was growing next to my great-great-great
grandfather's grave. How's that for a gardening tie-in?

George, Texian in exile in Loosyanna