Re: [gardeners] Pinetree

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 08:51:54 -0700

At 08:46 AM 1/30/98, George Shirley wrote:
>Pinetree must have recovered from the freeze in Maine, got my catalog order
>yesterday and a 1998 catalog. Found a source for Golden Queen tomatoes in
>that new catalog so guess I'll have to get another order off to them. <VBG>
>
>Currently have two 36 pot flats going under the lights and over the heat
>and have two more like that plus a flat of 3" pots sanitizing in the bleach
>mix right now. Does anyone have some garden space I can borrow? It's either
>that or dig up some more backyard. Hope Miz Anne's back can stand up to it.
>
>We've been having a lot of sunshine and 70F days here with nighttime temps
>down into the high thirties. Beautiful SPRING weather in SW Louisiana.
>Thank you El Nino!
>
>George

George, during the time I was on OGL, there was a lot of talk about no-till
gardening.  What they were advocating was covering the lawn with cardboard
(some said spray Roundup first, others said don't worry, it'll die), tack
it down, and cover it with 4 to 6 inches of compost.  Let it sit, water it,
etc., then reach in and plant.  Now you may be in a hurry to plant, so that
might present problems.  But it is easier than digging up the lawn.
Margaret