Re: [gardeners] Pinetree

Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:06:21

At 08:51 AM 1/30/98 -0700, you wrote:
>At 08:46 AM 1/30/98, George Shirley wrote:
>>Pinetree must have recovered from the freeze in Maine, got my catalog order
>>yesterday and a 1998 catalog. Found a source for Golden Queen tomatoes in
>>that new catalog so guess I'll have to get another order off to them. <VBG>
>>
>>Currently have two 36 pot flats going under the lights and over the heat
>>and have two more like that plus a flat of 3" pots sanitizing in the bleach
>>mix right now. Does anyone have some garden space I can borrow? It's either
>>that or dig up some more backyard. Hope Miz Anne's back can stand up to it.
>>
>>We've been having a lot of sunshine and 70F days here with nighttime temps
>>down into the high thirties. Beautiful SPRING weather in SW Louisiana.
>>Thank you El Nino!
>>
>>George
>>
>George, during the time I was on OGL, there was a lot of talk about no-till
>gardening.  What they were advocating was covering the lawn with cardboard
>(some said spray Roundup first, others said don't worry, it'll die), tack
>it down, and cover it with 4 to 6 inches of compost.  Let it sit, water it,
>etc., then reach in and plant.  Now you may be in a hurry to plant, so that
>might present problems.  But it is easier than digging up the lawn.
>Margaret

I've never had much luck with no-till gardening here, I think it may be to
wet. We average 65 inches of rainfall per annum and some times we get 6 or
8 inches all at once. We experimented with no-till a number of years ago
and got bumper crops of snails, slugs, pill bugs, earwigs, and lots of mold
and mildew. Even on an average sunny day we will have 96% humidity. We do
mulch in the summer but not deeply. I'm solarizing the new patch along the
fence with polyethylene film weighted with brick bats and then will turn
under the dead grass and weeds. Still contemplating getting a Mantis tiller
as I have trouble using a shovel anymore.

George