Re: [gardeners] Pinetree

drusus@golden.net (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 14:16:36 -0500

At 08:51 AM 30-01-98 -0700, you wrote:
snip>>>
>George, during the time I was on OGL, there was a lot of talk about no-till
>gardening.  What they were advocating was covering the lawn with cardboard
>(some said spray Roundup first, others said don't worry, it'll die), tack
>it down, and cover it with 4 to 6 inches of compost.  Let it sit, water it,
>etc., then reach in and plant.  Now you may be in a hurry to plant, so that
>might present problems.  But it is easier than digging up the lawn.
>Margaret

That approach does not work in clay soil.  You can not 'reach in and
plant.'  It's still easier than digging up lawn, though, and is my standard
get-rid-of-lawn method (but with newspapers, no round-up).  I usually put
raised boxes over, at least for a couple of years, then if I choose, get it
tilled.  That way it gets double-dug, sort of.  But I don't do the digging.

Lucinda