Re: [gardeners] Smuggling plants

Barb Rothenberger (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 06:49:42 -0600

Hmmm.  We know we are going back to Sommerset in 99 - have to see the
Chelsea Flower show!! - wonder where you would go to get permission to
import.  Of course, will have the same problem as before - I hope to extend
our stay by traveling perhaps to Germany.  Just hate to spend the money to
fly over there and not stay longer than a week!
Cheryl:  did you bring any plants back from Greece with you?  Imagine the
country of origin would be a biggie aas far as the agriculture people are
concerned.  We've never brought anything but cuttings, so I guess we were
OK.  I was more worried about getting arrested or what ever.  guess a fine
would be bad enough!

At 01:42 PM 1/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>I have to confess to having smuggled a few plants into the U.s. - the one
>>time was a pomegranite cutting from Italy.  Guess seeds from Kenya wouldn't
>>count, would they?  That is one of the more frustrating things for us and
>>traveling is not to be able to bring home some of the plants.
>>	our host for our week stay in Sommerset last summer said if we
>>washed all
>>the soil off the roots, we could carry them home with us.  We didn't try to
>>take any plants back, however, because we had another 9 days in Scotland.
>>Do you all know if this is so?
>>Barb Rothenberger
>>Columbia, Mo,
>
>It is true enough. I declared plant material coming back from Italy and the
>inspector told me that my cuttings and bare root plants were fine. The
>problem was soil. You can also apply for a permit to import plants with you
>if you know in advance what it is you want to bring back. Cheryl
>
>Cheryl Schaefer
>schaefer @epix.net
>Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY

Barb Rothenberger
Columbia, Mo,