Re: [gardeners] Smuggling plants

Michael Bailes (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 23:39:21 +1100

At 1:12 AM +1100 31-1-98, Liz Albrook wrote:
>Cheryl & Erich Schaefer <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:
>
>> It is true enough. I declared plant material coming back from Italy
>> and the inspector told me that my cuttings and bare root plants were
>> fine. The problem was soil. You can also apply for a permit to
>> import plants with you if you know in advance what it is you want to
>> bring back. Cheryl
>
>It must depend on the country of origin.  My sister tried to bring in
>one of the roots from which wasabe is made when she came from Japan
>last summer.
Amazing the Japanese didn't sushi you first.
Iit is illegal to export from japan
They hate anyone else to have it and  have an absolute monopoly on its
production.
Just as the Dutch did in the early days of the spice trade.

Michael Bailes,  The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250
Australia. (OZ) Int fax 61 243 651979  Phone 61 243 677322
 EMAIL: frgntgar@ozemail.com.au  Web page at:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~frgntgar/
1998 Chilli Festival 8/9 March.
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~frgntgar/chili/festival1998.html