Re: [gardeners] The Spite Fence

John Harman (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 12:18:19 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998 drusus@golden.net wrote:

> you wrote:
> G'day, I'm in the process of screening out new neighbours.
>         I'd like to collect some ideas for a fast growing,evergreen shrub
> or tree, thats not going to grow into a monster. maybe to 4-5 metres.
>
>         Any ideas appreciated.
>
> John
>

> Good Heavens, John, they must be a rotten bunch...only 4-5*meters* you say?
>
> Privet and Cedar are standards for your purpose here; down there why don't
> you try thorny mimosa?  prickly pear?  quince? pyracantha?
>
> Lucinda

	Yep, nosey old widows and divorcees. :) Should try my luck eh?
Just have to jump the fence.

	privet is a noxious here, not allowed to grow it, well not on
purpose anyway. A neat row would be a giveaway. Most natives are too slow
and sparse. Prickly Pear too short. Cedar too slow. Pyracantha is a
possibility. I may have to think about lashing out on some good sized
conifers. Bloody expensive here though, but excellent screens.

John