Re: [gardeners] echinaceae

Sat, 07 Feb 1998 07:54:52

At 06:54 AM 2/7/98 -0600, you wrote:
>George, you sound like my husband - that's what he thought I should do -
>well, he didn't mention the chain link fence.  Don't think he would like it
>if I dug up his cone flower, either - not sure I could find it right now,
>anyway!  Is it the ROOTS they use?  The pills I am taking are capsules
>filled with green - thought it was the leaves.  If so, wonder if next
>summer I should make my own?  nah!  not worth the trouble - pills didn't
>cost that much.

Yup, it's the roots. I take the same capsule you do, much easier than
distilling your own tincture. I have had a couple of so-called herbalists
tell me the tinture is much better for you though. I say so-called because
they are locals running vitamin stores and I don't think they know whereof
they speak.

>>Why buy zinc? You could just go out and lick the chain link fence. Get your
>>own echinaceae, distill the roots of the purple cone flower. I much prefer
>>my mother's old recipe for colds and flu. Cook sliced lemon with water and
>>honey, strain, mix 50/50 with 100 proof bourbon, sip as needed. Cold
>>doesn't get any better but you really don't care if you get well or not.

Back in the olden times, as my grandchildren call my youth, I worked as a
welder's helper briefly. We welded a lot of galvanized steel, we worked in
a shipyard, and got zinc sickness every day. To much zinc is definitely not
good for you, particularly when you are inhaling the fumes. The company
gave us a quart of whole milk each day to chelate the zinc and get rid of
it. Seemed to work, so wonder if you use dairy products whilst taking your
zinc tablets you might be excreting the zinc quickly. How about it Liz,
this sounds like chemistry to me.

>>George
>>

>Barb Rothenberger
>Columbia, Mo,