Re: [gardeners] In the garden

Sat, 21 Feb 1998 11:05:57

At 07:42 AM 2/21/98 -0700, you wrote:
>At 08:09 AM 2/21/98, you wrote:
>>At 08:36 PM 2/20/98 +0000, you wrote:
>>>George asked what to do with an excess of cabbage.
>>>Make Wurst-Kohl Eintopf
>>>
>>>1 head cabbage cut into 8 pieces
>>>4 to 5 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
>>>A package of HEALTHY CHOICE fat-free sausage
>>>1 large onion, diced
>>>1 cup water
>>>Pepper to taste
>>>
>>>In a large saucepan saute onion in a bit of broth until nicely limp.
>>>Add water.  Arrange cabbage in bottom of pan, top with potatoes.
>>>Each pkg of sausage has two big pieces; cut each in fourths.  Cover
>>>tightly and simmer very slowly about 35 minutes.  Add a bit of water
>>>or broth if cabbage wants to brown.  Serves 4 to 6.
>>>          OR, make German cabbage
>>>
>>>1 head cabbage shredded
>>>1 TBS canola oil
>>>1 medium onion, sliced
>>>1 or 2 tart apples, peeled, cored and diced
>>>1 cup water
>>>1/2 cup vinegar
>>>1/2 cup sugar
>>>1/4 (or more) pepper
>>>2 whole cloves
>>>Juice of half lemon
>>>
>>>Heat oil in large saucepan, saute onion and apples for 3 or 4
>>>minutes.  Add rest of ingredients except cabbage.  Stir and bring to
>>>boil.  Add cabbage, cover, and simmer for 45 until tender.  CAN BE
>>>FROZEN WHEN COOKED.
>>>
>>> Pat (who can't cook with salt or more than a bit of fat) but lives
>>>in a German community where cabbage is taken very seriously.
>>>
>>Thanks Pat, I don't use salt or fat either and I'm married to a German who
>>takes her cabbage seriously. She just didn't know very many freezable
>>recipes. ;-)
>>
>>George
>>
>Did you mention cole slaw George?  Could you pull up the heads and hang
>them upside down in a dry shed?  Putting Food By recommends this for a
>winter storage, but it might hold off decay until you could stand to eat
>more.  You could also make relishes.  Cabbage beer?  Make all your orifices
>open up at once (Anne would love that).  Margaret

Pardon, a dry shed? There's no such thing in SW Louisiana unless it's
airtight and had a dehumidifier. You westerners have no concept of humidity
that hangs around 96 percent most of the year. The humidity drops when it
rains, guess the rain drops pick up some of the other moisture and take it
to the ground. In addition the bugs around here would love for me to hang
food up outside so they could get to it while the rest of the garden breaks
ground. Got a pantry full of cuke relish from last year, cabbage beer
sounds really yucky - you can't be serious. I have no problem with open
orifices, most men my age don't and Anne is the same age. <VBG> The dog got
an antibiotic shot yesterday to fight a middle ear infection and today the
house was opened up to disperse the expelled dog gas to the world. One
thing this house doesn't need is more gas.

George, still chuckling about cabbage beer. Should have mentioned that
Anne's maiden name was Himmelheber.