Re: [gardeners] This weekend

Sat, 28 Feb 1998 20:07:22

At 05:19 PM 2/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I found some thing cooking in my garden today.  I have tulips up a good 5"
>on the south side.  Very protected area, under the lilac.  We still didn't
>get the snow they keep predicting.  It was cold today, got up to about 35F.
> We did have a good stiff wind to dry the laundry.
>
>Jane

Ahh, nothing like the smell and feel of linens dried outdoors. Clothes
dryers do an excellent job and leave everything soft and nice but you gotta
put one of them funny little sheets in each load to get a semblance of
outdoors scent on them. Ma Shirley, my Dad's mother, used to put her white
stuff over a bush or the fence and leave it overnight. Said the dew
bleached it out. Do that nowadays and someone will either steal it or there
will be something on it you don't want.

Miz Anne worked outside until almost 7 pm. She was building a new compost
heap as we had shoveled the old one onto the raised bed garden and will
turn it under tomorrow. Earthworms looked like snakes in there and there
were June bug grubs big as my little finger. May go to my big sisters
tomorrow and if we do I will take the grubs and do a little perch jerking
in the old pond. If everything else is as early as the trees (the oaks are
spreading pollen already) the bream may be scooping nests up on the shallow
end. Good mess of perch would be right tasty as they say in East Texas.

George