Re: [gardeners] Hydro-poolic gardens

Wed, 01 Apr 1998 22:11:09

At 08:31 PM 4/1/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Liz's production of seaweed, kelp, and other aquatic life forms
>should inspire us all -- whether we have swimming pools, creeks,
>river frontage or (as in our case) just some old galvanized washtubs
>in which we keep water for the deer, raccoons, armadillos, rabbits,
>snakes, and birds..

snip
I have a friend who, after his children left home, turned the family pool
into a fishing lure test pond. Kicked a couple of trees off in it, a few
bass, a few perch, couple dozen shiners, and there was a self-sustaining
piscatorial environment. New lures were given the final test in Lac Kenny
prior to going to the big lac. I still envy him, not his pool, his decision
making ability.

>However, if oneis so fortunate as to have a swimming pool, a decision
>must be reached., Is this facility to be used solely for
>swimming or for the production of crops/livestock, or some
>combination thereof? For those who eat catfish, would this be a
>viable crop? For beautification,should we plant water hyacinths? For
>scientific research, take-what-comes andcommit ourselves to the
>making of detailed, periodic reports to the County Agent?
>
>On the answers to these challenges one will makeone's  plans for
>one's water experiences. Think of the challenges! Think of the
>possibilities!
>
>Let us all put our heads together that we may, as it were, Keep Water
>on the Brain.
>			Pat

I often think some of us may have other liquids on the brain.

George, ready for bed after a long day of work and gardening