Re: [gardeners] skirret

Thu, 09 Apr 1998 19:22:38

At 05:27 PM 4/9/98 -0400, you wrote:

>>>We actually got quite a dialog going, as one of them was very
>>>surprised
>>>that I was a nurse and was actually digging in the dirt!  I was planting a
>>>few things
>>>near the trampoline, and talking with the children.
>>>
>>>Bambi
>>>Coastal NC
>>>Zone 8
>>>Sunset zone 31
>>>Http://www.geocities.com/heartland/meadows/6163
>>>
>>Well, I would be surprised too. I thought you just sat on the ground to
>>test temperatures. <BSEG>
>>
>>George
>>
>Dearest George,
>
>Over the years, I have discovered many, many ways to test temperatures  ;-)
>I dare not even begin to tell all on *this* list  ;-)
>
>Bambi--who must admit that sitting in the soil is one of my favorite ways
>;-)

One of the funniest sights I have ever seen was a Dutch emigre who was
serving in the US Army to speed up his citizenship application. We were in
a forward hospital and the nurses and corpsmen were taking temps, when they
woke him up and tried to stick the thermometer in his mouth he got the
darndest look on his face. Couldn't resist rubbing my butt and complaining
out loud, just made the look better. I still get a kick out of it more than
30 years later.

Personally I test the soil temps with a thermometer, to much trouble
getting up and down for the other method. ;-)

George