Re: [gardeners] Liz asked:

Tom Clothier (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:18:36 -0500

From: asidv@fbg.net <asidv@fbg.net>

>Standing Cypress: gilia rubra, a biennial or perennial that
>will grow from seed and sometimes even bloom the first year. It is
>3 to 5 feet high, with feathery, threadlike leaves. The flowers are
>scarlet, in a plume, and open from bottom to top.

I know this as Ipomopsis rubra.  The USDA plant database lists
both, and indicates they are synonymous.  Does anyone know
which is more botanically correct?

They show gilia as the common name for some ipomopsis sp.
They show ipomopsis as the common name for some gilia sp.
What the hell is more tiresome than taxonomy.

manytimes,
tom
zone 5a, NE Illinois, -21ºF Min
http://www.anet-chi.com/~manytimes