Re: [gardeners] Chat, Net friend's arrival

Sun, 10 May 1998 15:24:39

At 11:06 AM 5/10/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>------------------------------
>>
>>Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 09:42:20
>>From: George Shirley <gshirley@iamerica.net>
>>Subject: Re: [gardeners] Chat, Net friend's arrival
>Hi there!  "good and complex" is a wonderful compliment. "A little over the
>top" might be more accurate though. <VBG>  I do enjoy getting stuck in my
>former life in Hawaii.
> Many times I miss being able to start anything at any time of the year.
>I'm a terrible procrastinator. It was great when it was ok to move trees or
>plant a few veggies whenever I finally got my butt in gear.
>
> Sue's Mom and Dad finally moved down this January. "We're not saying we
>want you to have children, we just want to be able to help out if you do
>decide to have them."  <VVVBG>
> We've been having a lot of fun canoeing in Merchants Millpond, messing
>with the computers and just hanging out. Bill and I enjoy each others
>company, and we're learning to talk more softly. (We're both a bit deaf,
>we'll be talking loudly to each other as we're walking into Lowes, and
>everyone turns around. LOL)

I have perfect hearing according to the Veteran's horsepistol, if so why do
I have trouble with the high end of the range. I don't talk loud though, to
used to oil company management where you talked low so everyone didn't know
your business.

> The banana's and tropical hibiscus are blooming nicely here too. 'course
>we have to bring them indoors for 6 months a year. <VBG>
> Are the Bogie's hardy in the ground for you? I know you rarely get frost,
>but will they come back from it? I really miss them as an eight foot hedge
>that blooms 12 months a year. The gallon pot hanging baskets just look so
>small, beautiful as they are.
> And the $64,000 question, can you grow mangoes?

Nope, bougainvillea is in pots here although some folks have them planted
on the south side of their homes and do well with them most of the time. We
grew them in Saudi Arabia and they would do 10 or 12 foot per year with
adequate water and fertilizer. Bear in mind they were planted in pure sand
there so had to be feed constantly. We had them planted at the bottom of
the town house and then in planters on the roof. Within two years the two
different plantings had met and this in a 2.5 story townhouse.  Nope, can't
grow mangoes either, or I say we can't, haven't seen any growing around
here and I don't care for them anyway. I do have a one year old papaya
growing and hope, if able to save it another year, to get fruit from it. I
do like papaya.

> Bill is originally from east Texas, so he's fine in the heat. Priscilla is
>a New Englander, so our summers are a bit more than she's used to.
> They lived in Dallas for 4 years, when they were first married, before
>moving back to Massachuessettes for 37 years.
> She had their first child while they lived in Dallas, in *September*, so I
>try to remind her our heat isn't too bad. :-)  Thank God for central air.
>She has been doing a bit more gardening than she used to do up in Mass
>(cave shade from to many trees) so she is having fun.
>
> We will all be moving back to Hawaii in a few years, after we win the
>lottery. 60 is a low, 90 is a rare high and humidity in the 30 to 60
>percent range.
> Y'all come, Aloha nio kaoi
>
>Matt Trahan  <matttrahan@ecsu.campus.mci.net>
>USDA zone 8, Sunset zone 31, AHS heat zone 7, northeastern N.C.
>
>SUPPORT http://www.cauce.org/ (with no money) HELP STOP SPAM

My daughter and her kids just left so we're happy. The dawg is exhausted
from all the attention and just passed out on my foot. Miz Anne gone to
take a nap and I'm figuring on drowsing part of the afternoon in the easy
chair. Ma'as salaama.

George