Re: [gardeners] Taste and smell

Matt Trahan (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 13 May 1998 00:43:15 -0400

>Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 01:21:11 -0400
>From: pennyx1@Juno.com (penny x stamm)
>Subject: Re: [gardeners] Taste and smell
>
>Matt, I grow pieris japonicas -- Andromedas -- which have
>everything possible going for them, except the overwhelmingly
>sickly horrendous permeating sweet smell this time of year,
>recognizable a block away.  Betcha there are still people who
>would like that type of fragrance- but I'm not one of them.
>
>snip
>
>Penny, NY zone 6

Jasmine and Gardenias and plumeria, Oh Yes!
  Just kidding about the plumeria. We had to take down 2 small plumeria
trees in our side yard by the bedroom, back when we were in Hawaii. Wife is
highly allergic to them. Of course that still left 3 on the far side of the
house, downwide of the house. Love those reliable tradewinds!
 As a freindly suggestion, never stick a pretty plumeria lei over a
lampshade to help it keep it's shape. We learned the hard way. Left the
light on too, so we would have some light when we returned that night. Talk
about cloying! Definitly too much of a good thing.

 I try to stick all the "over the top" fragrant plants back towards the
back fence. I have a better chance of Sue coming outside for a while if
it's not painful for her.
:-(

 I'm off to smell the iris and hardy jasmine and rub up against the mint
and rosemary.

Matt Trahan  <matttrahan@ecsu.campus.mci.net>
USDA zone 8, Sunset zone 31, AHS heat zone 7, northeastern N.C.

SUPPORT http://www.cauce.org/ (with no money) HELP STOP SPAM