RE: [gardeners] Plant sale

Thu, 14 May 1998 11:49:52

At 10:57 AM 5/14/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Wow!! Lucky you!  Sounds like you've struck gold.  I am planning on
>having a garage sale in the next month or two. I wonder if I could sell
>some of my tall bearded iris.
>
>Alice
>seyfried@oclc.org
We have an annual garage sale that is more like a plant sale. We found out
several years ago that if we advertise plants for sale we get more
attendees. Since we're always starting bits and pieces of this and that it
works out well. This year I have about 40 starts of Greek oregano for 25
cents each, some Puerto Rican oregano starts for fifty cents, Walking Iris
plants for a buck, etc. The usual seed packet contains a lot more stuff
than I want to plant at one time so the extra goes into plants for the
sale. We have lots of reseeding annuals so it's no problem to collect a few
(million) seeds and start them or sell or swap the seeds. You would be
surprised which plants so-called reasonable people will buy. I'm talking
civilians now, not real gardeners. <VBG>

George, who has Saint Fiacre in place in the herb garden and almost bought
an Our Lady of the Wet Feet for Miz Anne. If you don't know what an OLOTWF
is it's Mary standing in a bird bath.
George M. Shirley, USDA Zone 9b, Southwest Louisiana
Gardener, Preserver, Super Granddad, and general good guy
Also modest.