Re: [gardeners] Rocks

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 16 May 1998 22:32:25 +0000

asidv@fbg.net <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:

> Dear Friends:  Anyone who wants a rock can have one -- free for the
> digging. And if you'll just dig where I point, my NGP will happily,
> cheerfully, and freely (i.e., no fee) instruct you in the proper way
> to exhume rocks! We have them in white (limestone), gray (flint) and
> reddish (something on its way to clay). YOUR CHOICE. FREE!! Pat

Gee, Pat, I thought those rocks were set in caliche, AKA God's
Cement.  Does your NGP give the lucky owners-to-be the loan of a
pick axe after giving instructions on rock ownership or do you
recommend a "Bring your own jackhammer" approach?

For those who would rather not dig your own rock, prefering to
just load it into your vehicle, please drop by my place in Idaho.
The former owners of our Casa de Dilapedos, discontented with mere
clay, chose to add an "ornamental" collection of largish rocks to the
landscaping.  In fact, the landscaping consists of river rock with
largish rocks strategically placed in a pattern completely opposed to
those found in Japanese rock gardens -- i.e. Redneck Rock.  (These
people also put a magenta, long shag carpet over a beautiful hardwood
floor in the master bedroom.)  These rocks are free for the taking as
is the river rock underneath them.  And, as a bonus, you can take
*any* rock from *any* location you choose.

Upon reflection it occurs to me that the former owners of our estate
would have been quite contented to garden in the Texas Hill Country.

Liz