[gardeners] Re: Holes & Black Spot

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 21:48:20 +0000

Elaine wrote:

> I live in
> Dallas and although I've had plants in the yard for about three years
> they have thrived inspite of me.......The heat here in dallas (about 4 straight days of
> 100+) is wreaking on all living creatures.

It has been pretty hot in your part of the world. Where abouts in Dallas
are you located?

> Also what do you feed
> your roses with?

I stick pretty much with a mixture of blood, fish, feather, alfalfa, kelp,
and cottonseed meals, with a bit of superphosphate, greensand and epsom
salts for the twice a year "big feed.". There's also a great liquid feed
(applied once a month) for the active season...it's put out by a company
called Mill's Mix, I think. I believe they have a WEB page. The
distributor is in Tennessee.

> Finally, I have several plants growing that I dont know if they are a
> weed or not,  I broke off a piece to take to the nursery but it wilted
> so bad in the car this morning I don't know if it they will be able to
> help figure out what it is?

Next time try taking along a cup of water for the weed.

> Can anyone identify this ground cover ---- it kinda has a heart shaped
> leaf, mid-green color?

dicondra, maybe. What size leaf? If it's a big leaf (2-3"), it's probably
wild violet.

Catharine, Atlanta/zone 7b