[gardeners] Copper Shield (reply to penny)

Cynthia Mayeaux (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 09 Jun 1998 06:26:38 -0400

At 10:27 PM 5/23/98 -0400, you wrote:

>For one week, nothing showed any reaction. After two weeks,
>grass began to yellow. It is now three weeks, the grass is ALL
>straw color -- BUT I cannot pull it out of the ground!  It just does
>not appear to be dead ..... It is holding fast like glue.
>
>Could it be that Roundup has a limited shelf life? Could I have
>over-diluted it? Have you an opinion?
>
>..........BTW, what exactly is copper shield?
>

>Penny, NY zone 6
Hi Penny,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  I'm not an expert with Roundup.
I too sometimes find that I can't pull up the weeds when they die back from
a dose.  I just figured that the root system is so dense or so deep that it
can't be pulled.  I just pull what I can and if sprouts reappear (which
usually happens), I reapply the Roundup.

The Copper Shield is from Gardens Alive and it is supposed to stop
blackspot and other fungus.  I usually get powdery mildew on my monarda and
roses so that's why I'm trying it.  It's been so cool here though that even
my usual toadstools aren't sprouting.

Good luck in the rock garden.

Cynthia

**Womyn Who Moves Mountains-Little Finger Of Michigan**
**cmayeaux@traverse.com **USDA zone 4b-Sunset zone 41**
** http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/2659/garden/cynthia.html **
** http://rdz.stjohns.edu/lists/fiftysomethingwomen/ **