Re: [gardeners] Rain

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 09 Jun 1998 14:13:36 -0600

At 12:35 PM 6/9/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Lucinda and all: We've apparently been getting your rain here in Kentucky.
>Terrible weather. For the last 4 weeks, it's rained almost every day. I'm
>keeping track of such things because I'm trying to have a house built - and
>they can't do the excavation nor pour the footer in the rain. So, I wait -
>as the interest payments on the construction loan tick away and the builder
>is 4 weeks behind - which is not his fault but the fault of Mother Nature.
>I'm frustrated and worried, to say the least.

Rosemary, the same thing happened to us when we added onto our house.  We
had not initially planned on having a basement under the new addition, but
it was comparatively cheap construction, and would yield a lot of extra
room, a workshop area, etc.  They dug the basement, installed the forms,
then the heavens opened.  Day after day it poured, and my garden (trucks'
route to the construction site) was a soggy mess.  The cement crew was held
hostage by the rains, and they were as frustrated as I.  The electrician
asked if we didn't want to install a swimming pool instead.  Finally it
cleared enough for the cement trucks to trundle through the garden without
getting stuck (I was more worried about the compacting they were doing),
and we got the cement poured.  That was the only principal delay we
suffered.  I hope your weather clears and things roll as smoothly for you
as they did for us.  Good luck, Margaret