Re: [gardeners] Cabbage varieties

Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:52:21

At 08:44 AM 6/12/98 +0000, you wrote:
>George Shirley <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:
>

>> Boiled down, in the south, particularly the hotter, more humid
>> parts, growing cabbage is a crap shoot. Didn't help you a bit did it
>> Catharine? Certainly made me feel better though. Anyone have a
>> cigarette?
>
>No cigarettes and I didn't have cabbages, either, when I tried to
>grow them in Mississippi.  Around here cabbage grows like zucchini.
>Down on the MS coast it was too darned hot and humid to grow them as
>a spring crop and it was too darned something else for them to grow
>as a fall crop.  I managed to grow brussel sprouts -- something I had
>been promised wasn't do-able on the Gulf Coast -- cauliflower,
>broccoli and kale, but I never grew a decent cabbage.
>
>Liz

Last winter we grew cauliflower, first time in 30 plus years that we got
curds. The broccoli was wonderful and we can generally grow it and kale
without to much trouble. The broccoli we eat, the kale we grow as a trap
crop for loopers. Couldn't imagine anyone even remotely wanting to grow
brussels sprouts. One of my worse nightmares of visits to the UK as a kid,
watching everyone chow down on sprouts and mutton. Makes a Texian deathly
ill to think of eating a sheep or even tasting sprouts. Yechh!

George