Re: [gardeners] Japanese Beetles

Cynthia Mayeaux (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 05:38:18 -0400

At 12:40 PM 6/22/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Japanese beetles arrived in Vermont today and most of them are eating my
grape
>vines and roses.  Can anyone advise a spray or something to get rid of them.
>I handpick and crush or sweep into a coffee can with soapy water but I
want to
>try to prevent them.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks,
>Marsha
>Mnkin@aol.com

I can totally sympathize Marsha, last year I was hit so hard with Japs, my
roses were swiss cheese.  This year, on the recommendation of a gardening
friend, I purchased a couple of Japanese Beetle Traps.  They work!

I've only had a few Japs on the roses, and both trap bags are just full of
the evil critters.  I purchased my traps from Gardens Alive, but I'm sure
you can get them at various places.  I've also been told that nematodes are
a long term solution.  I ordered some for spraying on my lawn, but I never
received it in the mail.  I'll try again next spring.

Good Luck...

Cynthia (who is fighting grasshoppers for my roses this summer)
**Womyn Who Moves Mountains-Little Finger Of Michigan**
**cmayeaux@traverse.com **USDA zone 4b-Sunset zone 41**
** http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/2659/garden/cynthia.html **
** http://rdz.stjohns.edu/lists/fiftysomethingwomen/ **