Re: [gardeners] Tuesday in the garden

Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:10:28

At 10:06 PM 6/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
>At 08:31 PM 6/23/98, you wrote:
><snip>
>>The nastursium blossom vinegar is a rosy golden color and
>>smells really good. Also time to put on more vinegars and make another
>>batch of pesto for the freezer. The thyme, oregano, tarragon, epazote, and
>>dill need cutting again. Reckon the dehydrator will run awhile this weekend.
>>
>>Life is good.
>>
>>George
>>

>George, how do you make the Nasturtium vinegar?  I love the peppery taste
>and that sounds good.
>
>Cynthia (Whose sweet corn is about 8" high now, and the tomatos, melons,
>and pumpkins have set fruit)
>
>**Womyn Who Moves Mountains-Little Finger Of Michigan**
>**cmayeaux@traverse.com **USDA zone 4b-Sunset zone 41**
>** http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/2659/garden/cynthia.html **
>** http://rdz.stjohns.edu/lists/fiftysomethingwomen/ **

I picked the blossoms early one morning, about a half pint of red and
yellow. Washed them gently, shook the water off and allowed them to air dry
slightly in the kitchen, also patted them down with a tea towel. Put them
in a pint jar and covered with 5% acidity white vinegar. After three days
the vinegar had developed the color and I'm letting it stay longer to
develop the "bite" that nastursiums have. Recipe came from "Putting Food
By" obtained from Amazon.com. I will plant more nastys in the fall and see
if I can't get a better crop of blossoms. The plants are not holding up
well in our triple digit heat. I make an oregano, basil, garlic vinegar
that makes you want a pizza when you smell it. Get lots of calls for that
one. Think I'm gonna make a small amount with Thai Hot chiles in it. Them
little chiles point straight up and are about the size of a Thai doobie.
Well, like the doobies I saw in SE Asia. I would never, ever personally
partake of recreational herbs and certainly never inhaled. <BSEG>

George