Re: [gardeners] corn

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 19:05:24 +0000

Penny wrote:

> We're not growing corn anymore at all -- but what we do get
> in about 4 more weeks from the local farm stand is a mixture
> of yellow and white kernals, good length ears, and delicious.
> I always thought that was the old Country Gentleman -- am I wrong..?

I think Country Gentleman is a white "shoe peg" variety. Kernels aren't
lined up in rows, but are irregularly "scattered" all over the cob.
Kernels are deep and slender, ergo "shoe peg."

My corn (the pink popcorn stuff) is just beginning to tassel and silk. Has
anybody grown a variety called "Bodacious"?

Catharine