Re: [gardeners]corn

Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:44:47

At 01:11 PM 6/25/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Margaret
>
>> like dates.  Sob.  I love dates, but I have kicked the nicotine habit years
>> ago, and I'm not about to start chewing.  I'll just eat dates.
>
>There's a local market in Atlanta that I darn near have to avoid because I
>can't resist the temptation of the big baskets of dates they always have
>out to tempt me.
>
>Catharine, looking at her fig tree that is absolutely loaded and wishing
>they were dates.

Catharine: If you can grow figs you should be able to grow dates.
Requirements are about the same, AFAIK, but it takes longer to get dates
off a newly planted palm. When I was a kid growing up in SE Texas there was
a Texaco company town, Bessie Heights, that had about 2 dozen date palms
growing there for at least 25 years. At that point they razed the town and
the palms. Used to go visit friends and pick them dates and dry them.

George