Re: [gardeners] Whine, Whine, Whine

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:16:24 +0000

Margaret wrote:

> Where did you get your exotic okra seeds Miz Catharine?

Southern Seed Exhcange in EArlysville, Va. They were new with them this
year. Brought in by a seed saver from Burma. The variety has become a
favorite with chefs in Tennessee evidently. I'm gonna save seed for
certain. Will send you some.

>  I'm trying the
> Kidma cucumber this year, along with Shepherd's Tamra and a variety that
> one of the  Research & Extension center employees brought back from Egypt.

Let me know how Tamra compares. I almost got some this year, but decided
to "do" Kidma for another season. I was so very impressed with them last
year. Both are middle eastern varieties and the Kidma really does do some
thirst quenching. No bitterness. Very thin and smooth skin. It's driving
me a little nuts that I can't eat mine right now....they are beginning to
roll in. My neighbors get the goodies for now. Ditto the first Green Grape
tomatoes. They are gorgeous this year.

> P.S.  Best not to tweak Alligator Shirley.  Have you heard about the size
> of his knife?

Ya, but I got me a Bowie <bg>

Catharine