Re: [gardeners] Putting it by

Mon, 29 Jun 1998 11:26:45

At 06:30 AM 6/29/98 -0600, you wrote:
>At 07:48 PM 6/28/98, you wrote:
>>Picked a bunch of basil again today, both purple and green. Put the purple
>>in the dehydrator and it should be dry by 9 pm.
><snip>
>>
>George, what kind of dehydrator do you have?  I bought one of those little
>round things and it takes days to dry herbs.  I have a homemade dehydrator
>(combo sulfuring box and dehydrator that I can roll around) that dries
>things a lot faster than that little thing.

I've got an American Harvester Snackmaster Jr. No thermostat but I prefer
it over the higher priced one with the thermostat. I can judge to within 10
minutes when my stuff will be dried just right. Any you buy should have a
fan in them. I've heard lots of bad stuff about those brands without a fan,
example: takes forever to dry anything.

>>On the pesto front, anyone got any ideas for a substitute for pine nuts.
>>Bottled pine nuts in a 2 ounce bottle are $3.79 plus tax here and that's a
>>bit pricey for pesto flavoring.<snip>
>>George
>>
>I have seen walnuts suggested as an alternative to pine nuts, George.
>Costco was selling pine nuts (shelled) for about $4 per pound, but I think
>they were coming from China.  Slave labor.  I think the price is a lot
>higher now.  Margaret

I've had lots of recommendations for walnuts so think that's the way I'm
going to go. At least until I can get out to New Mexico to visit some
relatives who own a pinon grove. Of course they may be the reason they're
selling so high. ;-)

George