RE: [gardeners] Putting it by

Seyfried,Alice (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 14:02:26 -0400

On the topic of drying herbs... Have you ever just put them in the oven
to dry?  I am planning on drying a whole heap of oregano and purple
basil this year to give as Christmas gifts (thanks, George - it was you
last year that gave me this idea), but I don't have a dehydrator. I was
thinking I could just lay them on a cookie sheet, turn the oven (gas) on
as low as it will go and leave them over night.  Is that a bad idea?  I
want to make sure they retain as much flavor as possible (of course).

Also, have you ever dried tomatos?  I've got 6 yellow pear tomato plants
that are just starting to bloom and I was wondering if I could dry them,
too.  I've frozen roma tomatos in the past, but this is the first year
I've grown the yellow pear, and I'd like to try something different.

Thanks,
Alice in London, Ohio (zone 5b) where it looks like it's going to storm
again tonite.
seyfried@oclc.org