Re: [gardeners] Gotta remember what you planted where

Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:03:05

At 11:31 AM 6/30/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Finally got back to the vegetable patch this weekend - not much there this
>year, because I've spent so much time adding to perennial beds.  I've got
>seeds yet to plant, but with a growing season that lasts until November,
>I'll just do a fall garden.  But...I was cleaning up some rampant bean
>vines that grew from seeds left out last year, and discovered to my
>amazement some tomato plants I had set out in April and forgotten about!
>They were completely covered by bean vines, but plenty healthy, with green
>tomatoes.  So, they are now de-beaned and tied up, so maybe soon we'll
>have some 'maters. The Butterfruit super-sweet corn is really struggling
>this year - with mid-to-upper 90s the past month, and very little rain, it
>just isn't happy.  I'll plant Merit for the fall.  Four zuccini plants and
>four bell peppers pretty much round it out for now, but the flowers are in
>good shape, so the veggies will get more attention.  Still 4+ good months
>to grow.
>
>Cya,
>Harry
>
>Harry Boswell                 hboswell@netdoor.com
>USDA Zone 8 (Mississippi USA)
>Home Page:  http://www2.netdoor.com/~hboswell

Same goes here as far as length of growing season. Planted some edible
gourds today. And have Heatwave II tomatoes coming up, just the cotlydons
so far but true leaves aren't far behind. If we have another mild winter we
will be harvesting tomatoes and chiles up into January and February again.

You didn't grow those Green Thighs zukes did you Harry? If one of those
ever crosses with your Giant Mutant Squashoid the offspring will be worse
than kudzu.

George