Re: OFF TOPIC, "Forms of Address" Re: [gardeners] Heatwave Tomatos a

John Harman (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 16:38:07 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Catharine Vinson wrote:

> John wrote:
>
> > 	The younger generation realised that feminism was doing them more
> > harm than good, judging from my sons girlfriends attitudes, and the
> > younger co workers of mine
>
> Interesting observation, John. I've never considered the things I
> mentioned as feminist issues, 'merely' human ones that are related to
> respect for individuals irrespective of gender.

	They would normally just be social conventions, nothing to do with
respect. Lots of men call their wives 'the missus' with the utmost respect
	It was feminism that made it an issue.

> . I even have women  opening doors for me, and
> > standing aside to let me go first into the lift (elevator), things that I
> > won't do for them. :)
>
> How sad that you aren't comfortable either showing or receiving those
> small courtesies of manners that many people belive make
> relatively civilized and orderly life possible.

	Oh I do, all of the time, but only for other men. Solidarity you
know.

> > 	Only thing that I don't agree with, is a woman being robbed of
> > total identity,like being referred to as 'Mrs John Harman', like they used
> > to here.
>
> I'll have to disagree. The matter could be resolved so simply if people
> would simply remember that a woman is "allowed" more than one identify and
> role. Socially, she is Mrs. John Jones. Professionally, she is Mary Smith.
> So simple.

	Not so simple.
John
easy to get a rise out of Cath eh. :)