Re: OFF TOPIC, "Forms of Address" Re: [gardeners] Heatwave Tomat

John Harman (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 09:42:44 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Liz Albrook wrote:

> John Harman <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:
>
> >  They would normally just be social conventions, nothing to do with
> > respect. Lots of men call their wives 'the missus' with the utmost respect
> >  It was feminism that made it an issue.
>
> What do you think forms the basis for social conventions?
>
> Liz

	Who knows, cultural habits that we learn and conform to. Look at
Ms as opposed to Miss/Mrs. nearly every culture has a single/married woman
equivalent. I notice at Wimbledon this year that all of the women are
referred to as Miss.

John