Re: [gardeners] Re: Barbeque

Harry Boswell (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 09:38:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 asidv@fbg.net wrote:

> Harry commented:
> > Likewise, combining slaw with the barbeque, such as
> <shudder>putting it
> > on a barbeque sandwich, is an abomination.
> The only time coleslaw is put into or onto a sandwich is when it
> is put on hotdogs (by some New York persons). With barbeque,
> coleslaw is served on the plate, adjacent to but not in direct

Wrong!!!  In many places throughout the Carolinas, and even into Georgia
and Alabama, they will put slaw on your barbeque sandwich.  If you say "Do
not put slaw on my sandwich", they will sometimes look at you as if you
had said "May I take your teenage daughter back to my hotel for illicit
activities"?  I cannot fathom why this tradition of slaw on pork began,
but it is truly a Foul Thing.

Harry Boswell
hboswell@netdoor.com  USDA Zone 8 (Mississippi USA)
Home Page:  http://www2.netdoor.com/~hboswell