Re: [gardeners] St. Swithin's Day

Matt Trahan (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:32:55 -0400

>Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 01:50:07 +0000
>From: "Catharine Vinson" <cvinson@cris.com>
>Subject: Re: [gardeners] St. Swithin's Day
>
>Matt wrote:
>
>>  You could try a small liner pond with a gently sloping pebble 'beach' on
>> one side. It will work wonders for the wildlife
>
>If you can talk MaPat into digging a pond (or getting anybody to do it
>except at the point of a double barreled 12 gauge with both chambers
>loaded) you're a braver man than I am Gunga Din. When you have 1/2 inch of
>top soil on top of solid granite and limestone, the act of digging a
>hole....any kind of a whole....is something of a major project.)
>
>God invented above ground stock ponds for people who live in the Hill
>Country. You just get them hauled onto your place and plunk 'em down on
>top of the ground.
>
>Catharine/Atlanta
>
>------------------------------
 Woops! Never mind! ;-) I guess that would certainly change the situation.
Hey, maybe one of George's sons would dynamite the hole for her?

 Otherwise, I guess the stock tank would need a ramp up, and a gentle slope
down inside, since the idea was to help the wildlife and not drown them.
 Catharine, want to bring your mom a trailer full of topsoil, to build up
around the outside of the stocktank, on your next visit home? 3gal size
plants would add some quick soil, and taller plants would help shade the
water. Add a ring of soaker hose to keep it all going, and you would have a
mini oasis.

Matt Trahan  <matttrahan@ecsu.campus.mci.net>
USDA zone 8, AHS heat zone 7, Sunset zone 31, northeastern N.C.