Re: [gardeners] Small 'consolation'

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 12:34:43 -0600

At 02:41 PM 7/18/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Still no rain in Atlanta.....definitely no rain in Texas (and people are
>dropping like flies!) Looks like St. Swithin's may have predicted
>correctly for some of us at least (no rain for 40 days).
>
>But maybe those of us suffering from drought and heat and seeing our
>gardens fry are supposed to take consolation from the saying surrounding
>the Dog Days (traditionally the 40 days beginning July 3 and ending August
>11). And I quote:
>
>        "Dog Days bright and clear, indicate a happy year; But when
>          accompanied by rain, for better times our hopes are vain."
>

>Bah, humbug.
>
>Catharine/Atlanta 7b

Miz Catharine fiddlin' with her EsotericCalendar again.  Land sakes, ain't
that chile gonna recognize real holidays?  Is she fixin' to plant a new
garden by the signs of the moon?  She goin' out there where she can walk on
slugs, come nightfall.  And she don't dare sit in the garden to test the
temperature of the soil.  Sizzle is hot by any calculation.  Maybe she
goin'to plant popcorn and have it pop in the field.  Jest hold your bowl
so, and you'll get a treat.  M. Lawndale