Re: [gardeners] my veggie garden

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 07:53:51 -0600

At 11:48 PM 7/19/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Margaret, how do you "hold" your harvested potatoes,
>and for how long do they keep?
>
>We can buy Maine potatoes, Idahos or russets, and sometimes
>small new potatoes; sweet potatoes or yams --  Period!
>Have never come across all those wonderful sounding spuds
>you folks are talking about....<sigh>...

Johnny's selected Seeds sells seed potatoes for Yukon Golds and other
potatoes.  There's some sort of co-op in Maine that sells seeds and seed
potatoes inexpensively, but I don't recall the name of it.

>Right now the only onions we can buy are yellow, Vidalia, or
>Spanish (red). My hubby and son went shopping in upstate
>New York last week looking for a Bermuda onion for our
>burgers, and the people all scratched their heads...  Jim
>actualy asked 3 female customers (and my son accused him of
>sexual bias <G>), and then spoke with the manager, to no
>avail.

Vidalia has probably taken the place of Bermuda onions.  It is sweeter, but
not as sweet as Walla Walla Sweets grown in the two Wallas area.

>We New Yorkers all grew up with Bermudas as our mild choice
>for eating raw. My mom's favorite sandwich was a round slice
>of Bermuda, a matching slice of raw Canadian bacon, and one
>more slice of black radish (very strong), on fresh rye bread.
>Wonder if she invented it...?
>
>Penny

My favorite is home-grown heirloom tomato on toast with crisp bacon and a
slice of Walla Walla sweet onion and a dab of mayo.  Margaret