RE: [gardeners] childhood tree

Seyfried,Alice (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:42:32 -0400

Thanks, Allen.  How awful you must've felt seeing your old home
destroyed like that.  It makes me angry to think about it and it wasn't
even my yard!!

I sometimes wonder what the lady who used to own our house thought when
she drove by and saw that I had killed all of her hybrid tea roses (30
of them).  I just had no idea how to care for them the first year, so
they suffered a little bit, then I had my 2 children and they became
totally neglected.  If they got pruned once during the summer, they were
lucky. If they got covered for the winter they were REALLY lucky.  So
last year my husband and I ripped them all out.  We got sick of feeling
guilty that we couldn't take care of them (most of them had died down to
the root stock anyway).  There was one, however, I would've liked to
keep. It smelled magnificent and was very hardy because it was still
blooming when we took them all out.  But we were in destruction mode and
out it came.  Maybe someday I'll replace it.  I do love the scent of
roses.

Alice
seyfried@oclc.org