Re: [gardeners] OT: Recipe for the season

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 00:16:53 +0000

Penny wrote:

> Overall, I would never classify Indian cookery as vegetarian
> in general. Their huge menus are overwhelmingly varied
> beef, lamb, chicken or shrimp/fish, with a minor number of
> popular veggie dishes, very often spinach or eggplant.. Many
> of their delicious appetizers are veggie, of course, but not all.

Meat and fish-based dishes are more commonly served in the regions roughly
classified as "Northern Indian." South Indian cuisine is historically
centered in the vegetarian Hindu tradition, although many Hindus eat meat
now. India's Muslim tradition is most often reflected in the
preparation and consumption of meats, e.g., Tandori chicken.

I think we need to be careful to distinguish between traditional food as
it is prepared and enjoyed in India and "Indian" food that is served in
commercial restraurants in the USA.

Catharine