RE: [gardeners] Another corn newbie question

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:13:56 -0600

At 03:47 PM 8/18/98 -0400, you wrote:
>All right, nobody likes a smarta**, Cynthia!  :) :)  My father-in-law is
>waiting patiently with an "I told you so" to see if I can beat the
>racoons (something he failed at for about 6 years before he gave up
>growing corn).
>
>Alice
>seyfried@oclc.org

Alice, I think they pick it before they eat it.  If they can't pick
it....ahem.  I've read hints to take a packing tape dispenser (the
hand-held dispenser of 2 inch wide scotch tape stuff), and take a turn
around the ear then around the stalk, taping ear to stalk.  Ha!  Take that,
rackety coon!  If you have 80 acres of corn, it would be too labor
intensive to do this.  But to squelch an "I-told-you-so inlaw," it's worth
quite a bit of that labor.  Margaret