Re: [gardeners] Another corn newbie question

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 00:07:39 -0500

Hi Gardeners,
    IMHO, and past experience, it is not always harmless to split the corn
shucks open and fingernail the kernel. If you have fire ants you just opened
the door, for them and some other insects. I like to plant corn that has a
tight shuck like Margarets' corn. The tight shuck was developed by aggie
engineers to help shut out insects.
Allen
Bastrop Co.,Tx