Re: [gardeners] Ring of brown grass beyond drip line

Matt Trahan (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 12:50:05 -0400

>Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:02:55 EDT
>From: TAREE9595@aol.com
>Subject: Re: [gardeners] Ring of brown grass beyond drip line
>
>I have this in two clients yards. The first time I saw it I thougt it was
>caused by a some little  kid riding a bike in a circle around it. I do think
>the roots are very close to the surface because its grass. I have not found
>anything to help altho reseeding the spots minimizes it.
>
>Taree
>
>------------------------------

Hi Taree,
 Does it appear mostly in summer, when things are water stressed? Is the
ground a heavy clay?
 Their house was built about 10-12 years ago. The builders stripped the
topsoil, now it's just subsoil/heavy clay. It's improved a little over the
years, but basically their soil is still garbage.
 I'm halfway considering root pruning about a foot inside the ring, just to
see what happens. Or maybe a soaker hose sitting on top of the ring once a
week?

 THanks
Matt Trahan  <matttrahan@ecsu.campus.mci.net> or <garden@juno.com>
USDA zone 8, AHS heat zone 7, Sunset zone 31, northeastern N.C.