Re: [gardeners] Ring of brown grass beyond drip line

Matt Trahan (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 13:06:19 -0400

>Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 07:04:05 -0600
>From: Margaret Lauterbach <mlaute@micron.net>
>Subject: Re: [gardeners] Ring of brown grass beyond drip line
>
>> Any idea's on how to fix the ring of dead grass?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Matt Trahan  <matttrahan@ecsu.campus.mci.net> or <garden@juno.com>
>>USDA zone 8, AHS heat zone 7, Sunset zone 31, northeastern N.C.
>>
>Did your FIL apply anything in that vicinity?  Did he have a female dog
>that liked to travel in circles?  Does the grass pull up easily (roots
>eaten off)?  Are there mushrooms (or have there been) growing in the brown
>grass?  Did he spray the trees with anything that could have run off,
>leaving a brown ring?  Margaret
>
>------------------------------
Hi Margaret,
 no
 yes to the female dog, but she usually goes in the front yard, and she
goes so often that she only leaves a lush spot, not the usual brown spot
with lush grass around it.
 no
 no, but never thought of it, thanks. We live in the summer grass/winter
grass transition zone. His yard started out 12 years ago as a newly planted
tall fescue lawn. Tall fescue doesn't really like living here, it takes a
good amount of maintenance at the appropriate times of year to keep it
looking good. Bermuda grass will spot seed and invade it very easily. After
the previous owners ignored the yard completely, his yard is now mostly
weedy grass. And he cuts it a little on the high side, so it's not a well
manicured, chemically oversprayed lawn, highly susceptible to things like
dollar spot and fairy rings.
 no, (smile) I'm happy that he waters the 2 pecans and the dogwood that we
planted this spring. He's not exactly the yardman type.