Re: [gardeners] Aurora

Matt Trahan (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 19:35:11 -0400

>Terry King (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
>Thu, 27 Aug 1998 08:42:41 -0600

>Did any of you other northerners see the Aurora last night?  It was
>incredable!!!  I haven't seen it extend so far south since 1990-`91.  I
bet Liz
>and Margaret could have seen it too if it was dark enough around their
>places.  It seemed to be at a peek about 12:30 am my time but I was up
>again briefly at 4:30 and it was still going.  Odd thing this time it was
more
>white than green.
>
>I just watched a show the other day about Solar Storms and it said the
>aurora was caused by energy from solar bursts encountering the earths
>atmosphere and that the color was determine by the type of oxygen the
>energy invigorated.
>
>Radio resception, even on the shortwave receiver, was very lousy last
night.
>Makes me wonder, if the energy was that intense, if it had anything to do
>with the satallite rocket explosion yesterday.
>
>Terry

Hi Terry,
 There was a large solar storm reported in the paper yesterday. They also
have the ability to disrupt satellites (pagers anyone?),and according to
the paper, power line transmission, in addition to the radio.
 Our connected world is connected by some very thin threads.

 As for Bonnie, we got a little rain, not nearly what we were hoping for,
but since the wind was mostly harmless, I can't complain. It could have
been a lot worse.
 Just left a message for Bambi and Mike. Since their machine is working, I
assume they have power back. Unless maybe it's like ours, done through the
phone company.

Matt Trahan  <matttrahan@ecsu.campus.mci.net> or <garden@juno.com>
USDA zone 8, AHS heat zone 7, Sunset zone 31, northeastern N.C.