Re: [gardeners] Perfect potato plants

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 06:25:41 -0600

At 05:39 PM 8/31/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>>Matt Trahan,  matttrahan@escu.campus.mci.net  OR  garden@juno.com
>

>>Plant in Mother Earth next time, Matt.  Tole ya.  Margaret
>>
>Ok, Margaret, I planted in my regular raised bed that I always plant
>vegetables in which is amended dirt.  Never did get around to
>mounding anything around the plants (was gone too much!).
>
>Any more suggestions?
>
>Bambi
>Coastal Carolina
>USDA zone 8
>Sunset zone 31

I plant in trenches striped with steer manure, then the manure covered with
a thin layer of soil.  I don't hill potatoes, but about the time the
potatoes start peeking through the soil, I dump grass clippings over them
to keep them covered from sun.  Yukon golds don't have a lot of eyes,
usually about two per potato.  I plant whole potatoes.  Dug about 30 lbs.
from 6 lbs. of seed potatoes.  Margaret