Re: [gardeners] A postage stamp garden

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 06:08:46 -0600

At 12:00 AM 9/1/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Margaret, thanks for your input.
>
>Bok choy is usually Chinese cabbage. I'm not sure how bok choy
>would work out. Might work.
>
>Last week I pulled out one whole bok choy plant to fix for dinner. Jim
>was convinced that I should have pulled OFF the outer leaves, and
>left the plant to regenerate itself. I vetoed that emphatically. So we
>did it my way. This afternoon when I reached for a plant, Jim said
>No Fair! This time you have to try it MY way! Fine, I replied, then will
>you please go pull the stalks...? And he came in with a 5-gallon pail
>full of separate bok choy stalks.
>
>Does anyone of you know just which veggies do well when only
>the outer leaves are pulled...?
>
>Penny, NY

Penny, I KNOW it's Chinese cabbage.  I've grown it myself, and cooked with
it.  That is why I suggested you get Joy Larkcom's book, "ORIENTAL
Vegetables."  The whole plant is usually pulled when you're preparing bok
choy.  I grow "baby bok choy," but do not harvest it until it's 3 or 4
inches tall.  Some snag it smaller.  Margaret