Re: [gardeners] A postage stamp garden

Tue, 01 Sep 1998 08:47:48

At 12:00 AM 9/1/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Margaret, thanks for your input.
>
>Bok choy is usually Chinese cabbage. I'm not sure how bok choy
>would work out. Might work.
>
>Last week I pulled out one whole bok choy plant to fix for dinner. Jim
>was convinced that I should have pulled OFF the outer leaves, and
>left the plant to regenerate itself. I vetoed that emphatically. So we
>did it my way. This afternoon when I reached for a plant, Jim said
>No Fair! This time you have to try it MY way! Fine, I replied, then will
>you please go pull the stalks...? And he came in with a 5-gallon pail
>full of separate bok choy stalks.
>
>Does anyone of you know just which veggies do well when only
>the outer leaves are pulled...?
>
>Penny, NY

I, for one, would be interested in the outcome of Jim's experiment. We've
grown bok choy for years and always took the whole head. I have
successfully frozen bok choy but it's not the same as freshly steamed.
Blanch the leaves for 2 minutes in boiling water and then package as usual
for freezing. Beats no bok choy at all but just barely.

Veggies I've had luck with just pulling the outer leaves. Chard, lettuce,
mustard, and most of the greens.

George