Re: [gardeners] Outage and weather

Sun, 13 Sep 1998 14:26:54

At 02:42 PM 9/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Glad to see you haven't drowned down there, George. My former partners are
>in Crowley, LA, and I was hoping they would be the only people in the state
>to float away.
>
>We experienced a storm with near tornado force winds on Labor Day and the
>entire northern tier of counties in central NY suffered serious damage to
>buildings and trees. Two people died at the State Fair when trees came
>down. I get the feeling I mentioned this before, so forgive me if I'm
>repeating myself. It wouldn't be the first time.:-) The garden came through
>unscathed, and the 1700 newly planted irises needed the rain badly. I did
>get lots of advice for overwintering the potted ones, for which I thank
>y'all. Cheryl
>

>Cheryl Schaefer
>schaefer @epix.net
>Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY
So far we're doing okay. No rain has fallen since about 0300 last night so
the main batch of flooding has gone to the Gulf already. Of course the
rivers are all at or above flood stage so the folks who have the nice homes
on the river bank are going to be flooded again. We're now experiencing
periods of bright sunshine interspersed with clouds and rain threats. The
rain we've gotten so far should bring us right up to where we would
normally be at this time of year. Unfortunately we got about 6 or 8 months
of rain in 48 hours.

We're staying in as much as possible as trees damaged in the "Great Ice
Storm of 1997" (quotation marks are always used by the press here) are
shedding large limbs, entire tops, and some are just snapping off from
being waterlogged. Neither Miz Anne or I are much at short sprint running
anymore but the dog has learned to go immediately to top gear when she
hears something crack. It's amazing how many very large oak trees in our
neighborhood are hollow, no wonder we have a plague of squirrels.

George