Re: [gardeners] garlic in Texas

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 00:57:13 -0500

Hi Vicki,
    Sometimes the things we aren't supposed to have success with work any way. I
wanted to grow peanuts, big ones. The recommended variety for my area was for the
small red Spanish peanut. I bought a bag of unroasted Virginia peanuts and planted
them. They made bushels of nice big fat peanuts, with no blights, fungus, rust, etc.

    You should be able to find garlic pods at most feed stores or nurseries that
carry recommended varieties. Some nurseries are getting with the Texas recommended
program instead of the general stock that often is not going to make it in the Texas
heat and humidity.
    Since you stated in an earlier post about your interest in wildscaping you might
want to come over to Austin, Oct 4-5 for the Texas Parks and Wildlife's Annual Expo.
It is held on the TPWD headquarters grounds located near McKinney Falls State Park.
It is located off Hwy 183 on Smith School Road, near the old Bergstrom Air Force
Base, the new Austin Airport. It is one of the events that Judy and I never miss. No
fee and all exhibits are free. Many companies, foundations, and preservation
societies that deal with native plants exhibit there.
    Allen
    Bastrop Co.,Tx
    Wildscape #1071
    Zone 8