Re: [gardeners] garlic in Texas

Victoria Okeef (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 22:29:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Allen.
 Thanks for the reply on my garlic dilemma. You can tell a "hard neck"
garlic if the stem coming out of the bulb is hard. The stuff one gets in
the grocery store has a soft, sort of pliable stem. Most of the hard neck
garlics have a rosey colored outside skin and usually have roja in
their names. So I wonder if the Mexican Pink could be a hard neck, and of
course, when I think of Creole cooking, I think of red peppers.

 If I have to give up trying my roja cloves I've saved for planting in
Texas, where can I find the Mexican Pink or the Creole? Actually, I
thought I'd go ahead and give my rojas a try. If they don't make it this
year, I can start with one of your recommendations next year when I've
finally moved myself down there.

 This probably sounds a bit confusing, but I have a friend living in mom's
house, looking after it, the dog and the cat, and trying to keep the
plants I haul down there alive. Once I get there permanently, I will live
in mom's house till my new house is build near Sisterdale. Meanwhile, I'll
be going down for a two-week visit on Saturday.

Thanks for the help.
Vicki in Seattle, where there's a decided nip in the air tonight and the
tomatoes will likely be hit with late blight by tomorrow morning.