Re: [gardeners] 'maters

Linda Baranowski-Smith (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:48:45 -0400

Bill Loke wrote, in part:

>I gave some seed to Linda when we had an enjoyable visit. Seed has already
>been saved for next year. My largest this year was just under 2 pounds.

Yes, Bill gave me tomato seeds that make me wish it were Spring again!  He
gave me a Hungarian paste tomato also from which I carefully took seed.  It
was the highlight of our vacation as the fishing surely wasn't any good.

BTW, when I take tomato seed, I scrape it into a jar of water, shake the
he** out of it and let it set for a day or two.  Then I save / air-dry only
the seed that sinks to the bottom.  Is this the way others save tomato
seed?  I haven't used this method for other seed though.  Is the method
applicable to other veggie seeds, e.g., peppers?

Linda in NW Ohio near Toledo/Lake Erie, USDA Zone 5
llbs@mail.glasscity.net