Re: [gardeners] re: Dumb Question now New House

Rosemary Carlson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 02 Oct 1998 19:15:35 -0400

Liz: You're right. They don't want the maintenance. What I've found,
however, is that - even with low care roses and perennials - it really
doesn't make much difference regarding selling because most people don't
KNOW low-maintenance from high-maintenance. They just see plants - and
roses - and think "weeding, fertilizing, pruning, trouble mowing around"
etc. and with roses they think "thorns, pruning, Japanese beetles,
blackspot....". And when you try to explain low-maintenance - their eyes
glaze over as there are SO many homes with lots of grass.....and no
gardens.......and no maintenance. That is my tale of woe.

I, too, took OUT roses and perennial beds before putting up my house for
sale. Took out a bunch of plants, pruned everything, etc., etc. Everything
looks very nice. It's still been a problem - though this is a hot real
estate market in my part of the world - and, hopefully, the right buyer
will walk through the door. My advice, however, to anyone anticipating EVER
selling their house is go easy on the gardens until you get into the house
you think you'll be in for a lifetime.

Rosemary in Lexington, KY
zone 6a